Thursday, June 13, 2013

Teach like a PIRATE Book Study Chapter 1

 
 
 
I decided to join a book study this summer which is reading the book Teach Like a Pirate, written by Dave Burgess. There are bunch of fun teacher blogs that are conducting the book study, with different blogs hosting different sections of the book. I really am excited to do this study because it is all about helping your motivation and passion about being an educator. I have gotten a lot out of the book already and I have only read chapter 1!
 
 
Chapter 1 is about passion! What a great chapter to start out with. Dave Burgess talks about three types of passion: content, personal, and professional!
Content Passion: What is your favorite subject to teach?
 
My favorite subject to teach is reading. This has changed since teaching 5th grade! When I taught 5th grade ( for 7 years ) my favorite area was science. Science is HUGE in 5th grade!! There is the periodic table, human and plant systems, solar system, and I could go on and on. However, now that I am in kindergarten, I LOVE LOVE LOVE teaching reading. It is such an amazing feeling to help these little ones dissect reading in its smallest form, and then start seeing lightbulbs go off when they start to get it. Reading for them is magical, and because it is one of my favorite things to do when I have free time, I love to see that passion ignite in others.

Professional Passion: What are you passionate about in your profession?

In my profession I am most passionate about relationships. I treasure the relationships I have with my little ones, their parents, and my coworkers. Being able to work alongside others that have the same passion is such a joy! My kindergarten team motivates me, and makes me feel that I am a good person, and challenges me to take risks. I think personally a goal I need to make though is to develop even better relationships with my team. I work 10 months with them!! :) I love that our rooms connect at my school, we are constantly helping each other and getting ideas mid-teaching even!

Personal Passion: What's your passion outside the profession?
 
Outside of my profession I am passionate about, well, my newest venture, Scentsy and Velata. Scentsy being wickless candles, and Velata being fondue warmers that are just like Scensty warmers! This business venture just started for me in March and has been really fun! I also am passionate about my family. I am so lucky to have a husband that stays home with my kids, and they love being outside. It is very rare for us to actually be home all day long. Even when I get home from work about 4 and kids go to bed at 7, we still have to go outside and do something as a family. We love being together and rarely are apart. For some families this is impossible, or just plain ol' not fun. However for us, we thrive off of it. I know that my time is limited because my kids won't be able to always spend time with us like this and have other things to do or places to be, so I am taking advantage now!
 
Head on over to this blog below for more insight on chapter 1!!!!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in! I love that you get to spend so much time with your family! It's hard for us since we have opposite schedules a lot of the time but we make the most of the time we have.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! I loved your comments on your professional passion. Relationships...what a great choice!! That is absolutely one of my favorite parts of being a teacher, as well. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely LOVE reading your comments! They make my day!