Thursday, July 11, 2013

Not for the faint of heart!



Holy cow! Most of you know that I am a kindergarten teacher ( for the last 2 years ) and before that taught 5th grade for 7 years. We chose to have my husband stay home with our kids and quit his job when we had our second child, because day care was just outrageous!!! It has been the best decision we ever could have made for our family. So I get to hang out with the family on my Christmas, Spring, and Summer breaks.
My hubby and I have been "bickering" over whose job is harder, the kinder teacher or the stay at home dad. Let me tell you, STAYING AT HOME IS SOOOOO HARD! It really hit me this summer. Troy has been picking up limo jobs for the past two months to help us out with our bills, and this week he got put on a jury which will last 3-4 weeks. So lately he has been going to jury duty, and then coming home for about an hour and heading out to do limo jobs till 1am. Therefore it has been the kids and I a lot lately. I have to tell you, I LOVE my kids, but WOW, they are hard right now. Or am I always going to be saying that? They constantly bicker, hit, punch, cry, and make messes! And there are only 2 of them! I always wanted to have a big family, but honestly? Who am I kidding? 2 is it for me! I think some people are cut out for large families, such as, those who have been blessed with a MASSIVE amount of patience!
I am in SUCH admiration of stay at home parents. I get recess, lunch, prep time, commute time, where I don't have to be "on." My hubby doesn't. When I get home I need to be more appreciative of his efforts, instead of fuming because the house wasn't vacuumed. My husband told me when he started staying home that he was going to make it a point to get the kids out of the house, have playdates, be adventurous, and that the house may not be perfect. I am so glad that he takes the kids out, because I know that my struggle this summer has been to entertain them, but clean as well, and in turn I get super frustrated because neither is done perfectly.
I don't have much more summer, therefore what I do have, I need to cherish. Next summer my kids will be 1 year older and may be over this whiny, physical stage. Heck, I may be wanting this stage back!




2 comments:

  1. I hear ya! When I stayed home it was way harder than going to work. Being a stay at home parent (a good one) DOES mean you're 'on' all the time. I think you guys are doing a great job! Now at ages 9 and 12, my boys benefited from me being at home and now can feel responsible and independent and 'grown up' because of all their experiences we had together! :) Have fun, enjoy this stage, but I don't know if you'll miss it a bunch. ;-) The independent older age is SWEET!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy hard! And going from working full time then staying home was a huge adjustment. Good for you for seeing that and wanting to acknowledge it with your husband. It is mg experience that usually stay at home parents wouldn't change it for the works tho!!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely LOVE reading your comments! They make my day!